Hurricane season is upon us! With potential storms coming quickly, there are a handful of things you can do to get ahead to protect from any damage that can occur. Hurricanes can cause a wide variety of damage, from wind, hail, and potential water damage as a secondary effect. It is best to prepare your roof beforehand, as once the storm begins, there is not much left to do.
Here are six simple steps you can take ahead of time to protect your roof.
- Schedule an evaluation: If you live in a hurricane-prone area, getting your roof evaluated is a must. During this process, a professional will look to verify there are no outstanding issues on your roof that could be made worse by a hurricane. If anything is found, a contractor can help make any repairs necessary before hurricane season hits.
- Trim nearby trees: Take a walk around your house and check for any dead, broken, or oversized trees and branches. These can be easily thrown during strong winds or fall onto your roof if too close to your house.
- Clear gutters and drains: If your gutters are clogged, the water can back up onto your roof and cause potential water damage. Cleaning and making sure you clear your gutters keep water flowing away from your roof and towards the ground.
- Keep up with regular maintenance: Keeping up with maintenance on your roof is the best way to be proactive towards making sure your roof is ready for hurricane season. Regular maintenance will help catch preliminary roof issues before they get worse. In the end, you are saving yourself money!
- Stay up to date on insurance and warranties: Having all your documents and information organized together makes the aftermath of a hurricane much more simple and less chaotic. A few ideas of what to gather are: photos of “before” to use as a comparison, insurance documents, warranties, and contact information for contractors and insurance agents.
- Schedule any repairs you have been putting off: Staying ahead and taking care of any repairs will prevent extra money from being spent in the long run from further damage.
With a thought-out plan in place before hurricane season hits, you don’t have to worry once a storm arrives. It permits you to focus on people, your family, and any immediate needs that might come up.
Contact Alliance Roofing today at 281-485-8755 to evaluate your roof and to help you take your next step!